Camping is an outdoor recreational activity that allows one to be really close to nature. It is also an excellent time to bond with family and friends. It is sort of an extended picnic that can last for just one night or several nights. While it is easy to get the camping gear in place, food generally gets people all worked up, especially when the group includes children. Many camp sites provide facilities where one can get access to grills and other cookware and cooking facilities. But, most campsites don't. So, what does one do for cooking tasty and healthy meals? Well, take a few kitchenware and food ingredients and whip up some delicious meals for the camping crowd. The below-mentioned recipes will definitely prove to be handy. Have a look!
Simple Camping Recipes for a Crowd
Serves: 45 - 50
- Vegetable stock, 5 qt.
- Tomato puree, 1 qt.
- Chopped celery, 5 cups
- Chopped carrots, 4 cups
- Cubed turkey, 3 cups
- Cubed tomatoes, 3 cups
- Diced onions, 3 cups
- Green peas, 2 cups
- Barley, 2 cups
- Butter, 1 cup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Over a campfire, heat butter in a large pot and sauté carrots, celery, and onions well.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and stir well. Follow this with the addition of sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Next, add the barley and let it simmer for an hour.
- Then, add the peas, tomatoes, and turkey, and once again let it simmer till the turkey is tender.
- Serve hot with a bread of your choice or rice.
Serves: 10 - 15
- Large eggs, 12
- Chopped tomatoes, 5
- Large chopped bell pepper, 2
- Large chopped red pepper, 2
- Large onion, 2
- Ground sausages, 2 lb.
- Shredded cheese, 1¾ cup
- Garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the sausages and then sauté the onion, bell and red pepper, and tomatoes in a large iron skillet.
- Add the seasonings according to taste. Drain the excess water followed by the addition of eggs. Scramble the entire mixture till the eggs are done.
- Next, take the skillet off the heat and add some cheese on the top. Serve hot!
- Milk, 1½ qt.
- Macaroni, 3½ lb.
- Shredded cheese, 2 lb.
- Sliced green onions, 1 lb.
- Sliced mushrooms, 24 oz.
- Bread crumbs, 6 oz.
- Butter, 3 oz.
- All-purpose flour, 2 oz.
- Prepared mustard, 2 oz.
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Boil water in a large pot, add macaroni, and cook until tender but firm.
- Then, add onions and cook for another couple of minutes and drain.
- Now, in another pot, heat about eight oz. of milk, dissolve flour in it, and keep stirring until smooth.
- Then, add the remaining milk, seasonings, and flour and stir well.
- Now, add in the macaroni, cheese, and mushrooms. Let it simmer for about ten minutes.
- In the end, combine bread crumbs and butter, sprinkle over the macaroni, and serve hot.
Serves: As per the number of people
- Large banana (as per need)
- Mini marshmallows
- Milk chocolate chips
- Slit the banana, just a few inches deep, on the curved side.
- Stuff it with chocolate chips and marshmallows and wrap it with a foil.
- Place the banana on simmering hot coals till the marshmallows and chocolate chips melt.
- Afterwards, remove from the fire and have it any which way you like. Either eat it hot or when cooled down.
Camping recipes should include plenty of half or precooked food to save time. Make sure you get everyone involved in the whole process of cooking, serving, and cleaning up. Happy camping!