Snowboarding on the terrains and other areas is a popular winter sports attraction. Nowadays, snowboarding has become more thrilling with an addition of a curved terrain. A halfpipe is a structure that makes snowboarding even more thrilling and challenging as well. It is a pipe that is cut in half, running through the length of the pipe, and is filled with snow.
The rider must snowboard inside the halfpipe that is a curved surface. The higher challenge and opportunity here is that you get to perform tricks and acrobatics while you speed down and above the edges of the pipe. This also makes a very good sport and has earned a full-fledged recognition as a sport in the winter games and the Olympics. To enhance your snowboarding skills, halfpipe snowboarding is the latest trend.
For the ones who have good skills of snowboarding, and have practice of the same, do not hesitate to introduce your thrill to stunts and acrobatics. With proper training and guidance, snowboarding in halfpipe will be your favorite sport. When talking about training, the basics can come through practice. But to create some unique stunts and tactics, one must be aware of the proper way of execution along with some halfpipe snowboarding tips and tricks.
Snowboard Halfpipe Riding Tricks
Let us understand the main elements of a halfpipe snowboarding first. The halfpipe can be described as a combination of various elements like: Entry ramp or ramp - this is where you enter the halfpipe. Verticals or verts - they are the vertical walls that make the sides of a halfpipe. Flat - it is the base or the floor of the halfpipe. Trannies - they are the curves the make the intersection of the flat and the walls. Deck - it is the horizontal space that is on top of the walls.
A rider must skate from wall to wall and above the lips (the edges on the vertical) of the walls that can enable him to perform stunts and tricks. Halfpipe snowboarding will not be easy for beginners in snowboarding. Certain techniques like a smooth glide when jumping from the wall, through the curve to the flat, speed control, balancing the board with effective control on the edges while turning, etc., should be well practiced.
Below are snowboard halfpipe tricks and techniques, right from your entry to stunning tricks on the snowboard.
- The most important is traversing. This is the technique of landing through the slopes or walls of the halfpipe. Traversing is to balance your body weight on one edge of the board so that the landing is safe. You may also practice this on a slope of the hill. Learn to traverse, facing the direction of the landing and you hands in the same direction like a clock pendulum.
- Use the flat to correct your first landing and balance your body, as you speed to the other wall. During the transition (covering the area of the vertical walls of the pipe), one must stretch or straighten the legs to push the entire body weight on the transition. As you exit the transition, crouch (bend the back forward by bending in the waist down) a little. Balance your weight on your feet as you travel the trannies, and enter the next transition.
- Speed is a major factor in halfpipe snowboarding tricks. This is mainly obtained when you learn to traverse correctly with a crouch. This position gives you the space to push your body in the direction of the traverse, hence increasing speed. This tact of gaining speed can also be called pumping.
- Do not cross over to the other wall in a straight direction always, try to cross in an angle to the other wall.
- Once you get comfortable with swinging from wall to wall and transition, it is time for the tricks and turns. It is important to learn to turn when sliding. With rolling the edges (edges of the snowboard) you can take turns a little above the transition and slowing moving higher against the walls. Try to take turns in a short radius, make sure you turn clean and crisp, any scrubby turns will slow you down.
- Once you get comfortable with the turns, you can learn to jump the spins in air. Most commonly a rider will catch the spin or flip with the edge going down back on the pipe walls. This is effective to control the spin and the following landing. It should be done quickly to get proper control.
- Landing is another aspect that needs attention. It is important to land with confidence, as it reflects on your body posture and helps maintain the balance. It will make the transition longer when landing and give you better control. Always land by shifting your body weight on the front foot that weighs on the front edge of the board.
The tactics depend on the bending and the straightening of the knees. Right edge of time to flip and turn will get you more confidence and smoother landings. Short turns will make up for good speed and hence give you more altitude to rise above the lips of the pipe, and get some thrilling turns and flips. Learn to dive with confidence, fear will make your muscles stiff, so you will need a lot of confidence that will get you started with comfort.
There can be more to snowboard halfpipe tricks once you master the basics of this sport. Treat yourself with a lot of practice, slowly you will find your areas of conquer, and soon you will have your own secret tips and tricks on halfpipe snowboarding!